Abdominal pain or stomach ache occurs between the chest and pelvic regions. It is majorly described as:
- Localized painwhich is limited to one area of the abdomen
- Cramp-like painthat comes and goes, and may completely subside on its own without treatment
- Colicky painoccurs suddenly and is a symptom of more severe conditions.
Abdominal pain can occur because of any kind of inflammation or diseases that affect the organs in the abdomen. Major organs located in the abdomen include:
- Large & small intestines
- appendix (a part of the large intestine)
What Are the Most Common Causes of Abdominal Pain?
Abdominal pain can be caused by many conditions like:
- Abnormal growths
- Obstruction (blockage)
- Organ rupture
- Organ stones
- Intestinal & digestive disorders like:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Crohns disease
- Lactose intolerance etc.
Alarming Symptoms of Abdominal Pain
Severe and recurrent abdominal pain associated with following symptoms may need medical attention:
- Painful urination
- Frequent urination
- Inability to pass stool
- Severe vomiting
- Tender abdomen
- The pain lasts for more than a few hours
How Is the Cause of Abdominal Pain Determined?
Abdominal pain is itself a symptom that can occur due to so many reasons. So doctor performs a thorough physical exam, followed by some diagnostic tests to evaluate the exact reason of abdominal pain:
- Stool or urine test
- Blood tests
- Barium swallows
- An endoscopy
- An ultrasound
- CT scan
Treatment of Abdominal Pain
The treatment of abdominal pain specifically depends upon its causes and thereby its diagnosis. It may include medications or surgery.