Endoscopic Balloon Insertion or, Gastric balloon insertion or, BioEnterics Intragastric Balloon (BIB – System) is the procedure that involves endoscopy-guided insertion of a special balloon into patient’s stomach that is filled with saline. The balloon is made of silicone to aid weight loss over a 6-month period.
Ideal candidates for Endoscopic Balloon Insertion
- Overweight (BMI of 27 kg/m2 or greater) or obese (BMI 30 kg/m2 or greater) persons
- Can be pre-operative preparation in the treatment of morbid obesity
Who should avoid
- Persons with previous gastric surgery
- Persons with a very large hiatus hernia
A gastroscope is inserted through the mouth into the stomach of the patient. With the help of this gastroscope, a balloon is placed into the stomach and is then filled with 500-700 ml of fluid (saline) and a blue dye. The procedure is performed under anesthesia and takes about 15-20 minutes.Most of the patients may go to home within few hours after the procedure.
Hernia Surgeon in India, Fistula Surgeon in India, Piles Surgeon in India, Stomach Cancer in India, Colon Cancer Surgeon in India, Gastrologist in India, Breast Augmentation in India, Gynecomastia Correction Surgery in India, Breast Cancer Surgery in India, Colon Cancer Removal Treatment in India, Stomach Cancer Removal Treatment in India, Thyroid Cancer Surgery in India, Skin Cancer Surgery in India, Surgery for Rectal Cancer in India, Injection or Sclerotherapy in India, Karydakis Procedure in India, Laparoscopic Appendectomy in India, Laparoscopic Removal of Gall Bladder in India, Laparoscopic Hernia Repair in India, Laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication for GERD in India, Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy in India, Balloon Dilatation of Achalasia in India, Tension-Free Hernia Repair in India, Laser Surgery for Hemorrhoids in India, Laser Surgery for Piles in India, Rubber Band Ligation for Hemorrhoids in India, Ligation of the Intersphincteric Fistula Tract in India, Pilonidal Sinus Treatment in India, Thyroid Surgery Treatment in India
- The maximum duration for balloon to remain in stomach is 12 -18 months
- Patient should take liquid food during the first few days
- This should be followed by 5-6 small meals a day
- Sweets, fatty and spicy foods and alcohol should be avoided
- Proper and regular follow up with physician and dietician is required
- Patient should not consume high-calorie food otherwise patients may gain weight
How is the gastric balloon removed?
The balloon is removed after deflating it at the end of the 6-month with the help of a gastroscope.
Benefits of the procedure:
- Reduced the stomach capacity
- Slowed rate of stomach emptying
- Sensation of stomach fullness even after small meals
- All these will eventually result in weight loss